Monday 24 March 2014

Lighter Banana Bread


Hi everyone! I have been wanting to bake some banana bread for a while now for Lilly to try. Lilly hates bananas, not because she doesn't like the taste but she hates the look and feel of them so wont touch them anymore and I wanted to find a way that I could 'hide' the banana so she will eat them (I do this with a lot of fruit and veg) and what better way than a 'light banana bread'

I recently purchased 'Lighter way to bake' by. Im obsessed with cooking and baking healthy meals recently and im trying to make all of our family meals healthy and made from scratch by me. I am guilty of eating processed foods when I cant be bothered to cook or we get in late but recently I have been food prepping to help and avoid hitting the freezer for unhealthy processed foods. This also goes for our 'treats' I have been baking all of our treats and making lighter versions of them for me, Lilly and Mike.

Lighter way to bake is perfect for yummy recipes which aren't as guilty or added ingredients which are good for us. I found this banana bread recipe and decided to bake some today.

Ingredients:
25g rolled oats
4 just overripe bananas
200g self raising flour
50ml maple syrup
25g unsalted butter, melted
50ml olive oil
pinch of salt
 
Pre heat oven to 180oc and line a loaf tin with baking parchment (I used a silicone bread case which is stick free)

 Step 1: Scatter about 1/3 of the oats in the bottom of the loaf tin. Cut 1 of the bananas into 1/2cm thick rounds and lay them over the oats evenly.

Step 2: Peel and roughly mash the remainly bananas in a large bowl. Add the flour, maple syrup, butter, olive oil, salt and remaining oats mix everything together until well mixed to a soft dropping consistency.


Step 3: Carefully pour the mixture into the loaf tin on top of the bananas. Spread evenly and bake for 45mins.


Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool before lifting out then leave to cool some more ( I made the mistake of cutting it to soon and it crumbled)

The loaf can be served warm or cold and stays at it best for 1-2 days in a airtight container.

This went down a storm with Lilly, she loved it!




No comments:

Post a Comment